BRIEF HISTORY OF SHORELINE BOAT CLUB
In August of 1956, a small group of boaters met in Allen Park to discuss the formation of a Club, which would provide affordable family boating and comradeship. Shoreline Boat Club was organized and its first project was the construction of a launching ramp at the West end of the park in 1957.
In 1959, the Club purchased more than 1,000 feet of frontage along the Fox River at its present location. A lagoon was dredged and members constructed a launching ramp at the same time.
A concrete block building was erected by members in 1960, complete with kitchen, bar, washrooms and an impressive Club room with fireplace. In 1962, the size of the lagoon was doubled to accommodate more boats.
In the early 70’s the then existing bar was expanded from an “L” shape to a horseshoe type bar. Central air, thermo pane windows and wood paneling were also added.
As the Club grew, space was inadequate and members began planning construction of a sizeable addition in 1980. Once again our aggressive members went to work and by 1983 the present Club House was completed. A new bar, restrooms and showers were added. In 1985 and in 1986, the launch ramp was rebuilt and a seawall was installed between the clubhouse and lagoon. As of 1988, the Club now has a newly remodeled and more efficient kitchen. Scherer Island was purchased by the Club in 2002. A large walk in cooler added in 2003.
Through the years we have had many members who can look around with pride at their many accomplishments. Many work hours have contributed to build and maintain this beautiful club which is active year round. In addition to boating functions, monthly chicken fries are held during the fall and winter months. Steak Fries, Fish Fries, and parties for children and adults are some of the activities many enjoy.
More improvements are planned to keep our outstanding club and what it stands for alive and working for present and future club members.